Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Happy Birthday Mom!

Our family has never been really good at birthdays. This morning I once again attempted to make a nice breakfast for Mom, but what she really got was a hatchet job of an omelette (spinach, mushroom, green onion and feta cheese), some limp and undercooked English muffins and microwaved bacon. As luck would have it, my omelette turned out great.

I guess the highlight of the day was that after a five-day absence Mom got to see Layla again. I'm pretty sure anything I could have done would pale in significance to her granddaughter.

I am also continuing a long-standing tradition of not having a present in time for the actual birthday. In fact, in our family it's not really a "birthday gift," but rather an "annual gift." You'll get something once a year, with only a random relationship to your actual birthdate.

Diinner tonight at Cafe Trang's, which everyone loved. Angelica, Layla, Merritt, Lanee, Mom and me. The English translations on the menu were definitely done by someone less than intimate with our language. To wit--one dish was described as having "tendons and beef balls." Who knows, maybe with a little ketchup ...

No comments:

Post a Comment