Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Defensive Driving

This is going to make me sound really old, but ...

On the way home from work today I was nearly hit by other cars three times. No fooling. First, heading north on 300 West, a completely clueless elderly lady cut all the way across the road, directly in front of me, nearly perpendicular across four lanes. Fortunately, I wasn't going very fast and was able to stop before broad-siding her husband, who was in the passenger seat. After she finished crossing my lane, I passed by and noticed in the rear-view mirror that she came to a complete and befuddled stop in the middle of traffic. It was scary to watch.

Next, as I was exiting from I-15 to I-215, a car behind me and to my right realized he was in the wrong lane to stay on I-15, and swerved very suddenly across two lanes, including mine, to avoid gettiing on I-215. Prior to this I had slowed a bit on the exit (like maybe to 60 mph) to make sure the car directly to my right didn't do the same thing. So the car behind me nearly clipped my tail.

And finally, once on 215, a semi truck suddenly shifted to his left, about five feet into my lane, nearly hitting me. I jammed on my horn and he got back. But by this time I was starting to look for aerial attacks.

So, besides feeling like a target, what do I take away from all this? If I would have been driving the same way I did as a teenager I'd very likely have been in an accident. I used to think being a "good driver" meant keen reflexes and the ability to handle a car well. Now, a few years older and perhaps a bit wiser, I understand that my main objective when driving is to not get hurt, and to not hurt anyone else. I've become a "defensive driver." In fact, I've begun to expect other people to do stupid things, especially with the advent of cell phones. I drive like a careful old fogie--exactly like my dad did while I silently laughed at his lack of aggression.

Fortunately, I only have two "good drivers" left to teach. OK, maybe one. And thank goodness for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment