Monday, August 14, 2006

Doug Jones

Sunday morning I learned that Doug Jones died Saturday night. His car hydroplaned in Parley's Canyon on his way to Salt Lake City to visit his new twin grandchildren in the hospital. I was numbed by the news.

Doug was a true gentleman and a joy to associate with. He was positive, interesting, inquisitive and complimentary. He was such a devoted father and made so many decisions on behalf of his children. He was fun to sit with and watch his kids play sports, and I had the privilege of coaching his daughter Whitney in softball and a little soccer, and I could see the joy he and Polly felt watching her play. He was also a great runner, but it was still fun to run with him because he never made you feel like you were slowing him down. I'm really glad to have known Doug and I will always remember some of the things he said to me.

I have become used to death, but not so suddenly. With Doug, there was no time to contemplate even the possibility of waking to the news that he was gone. You are left to think about how maybe we should have gotten together more, or exchanged more emails, or phone calls. And of course, given to thought about the family--how Polly and the kids must be so lost. And I suppose like many others I'm filled with compassion but uncertain as to what to do. I want to give comfort, and help some way if I can, but not to be a burden or intrude. And I wonder if it is a harder on Polly to recite the story once again for a new set of comforters, or if she would prefer quiet time with her family.

And we are left grasping for our faith as, quite literally, the sole lifeline. I have never felt completely separated from those that recently depart. It was the same with Doug, the sense that now he could see me, when he got around to my spot on his list. And that perhaps I should behave a little better so as not to disappoint him when he does look down.

But despite all this, there is just that leaden feeling in my stomach that I have been carrying around since I heard the news. And whether my prayers have done any good or not I don't know. But I do know that I am sad that he is gone, and I wish this world didn't have to include such tragedies.

No comments:

Post a Comment