Thursday, August 24, 2006

Fantasy Football Draft

August 19th, 2006
We had our Fantasy Football draft at our home this morning. I'm the Lou Holtz of fantasy football, always thinking my team is awful and will get trounced. But in this case, I'm sure I'm right. I relied way too heavily on a certain Internet source for my projections, and in many cases they turned out to be a little crazy. So unless Stephen Jackson has a huge year, and Peyton Manning peaks again, it's going to be a long season.

I'm not sure why I do this. It's a ridiculous time bandit. And were I not living the experience, I would laugh out loud at st me checking NFL stats a dozen times on Sunday afternoons, and poring over waiver players deep into the night. But I get a perverse pleasure out of it. And it's fun to kibitz with my family. This year I know everyone in the league--Ryan, Angelica, Zachary, Sam, Tyler, Adam and Trey. So the social value of bragging rights should not be underestimated.

Merritt and I went golfing in the morning. I enjoyed it. I can't believe it, but I may become a golfer. I thought I would wait until my 60's, and maybe my 50's, but here I am schlepping clubs around a cheap municipal course and looking every bit as foolish as I had imagined. But I got a few good tips from Merritt, and for the first time ever I hit the ball straight. It's kind of a cool feeling, and saves money on balls besides.

Sometimes I feel like I am getting to be such an old man. Other times I still wonder what I will do when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment