Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tour-ists

Played the tourist today, in that we took an actual "tour." The most interesting thing I could find in the guidebooks was an "Outdoor Adventure," so we signed up. Met at the marina and took a fast boat to Boca de Tomatlon, then proceeded into the jungle, which involved hiking, mule riding, multiple zip lines, rappeling down a 98' waterfall, dropping into pools and crossing a few rope bridges. The other tourists seem to think it was quite thrilling, and Rebecca enjoyed it as well. I found it mildly entertaining, but not the least bit exciting, except perhaps the first five seconds of the first zip line. I realize how much more adrenaline I get from being personally responsible for my fate when I do canyons. The problem was, I completely trusted these guys and their multiple redundant systems. I guess I'd prefer a little more uncertainty in my adventures.

Had a very nice dinner at Si Senor, with fabulous papaya pico de gallo and an outstanding array of salsas. We were also serenaded by three fat mariachis, which I found soothing and entertaining, but mainly made me want to watch the movie El Mariachi again.

Funny thing, wherever we go people see me and my dark complexion and start talking to me in Spanish. My confused and helpless look quickly reveals their mistake. Then Rebecca jumps in with her amazing fluency, and immediately the credibility I'd lost is restored to the family. I think everyone treats us better because she speaks the language so well, and she has been regularly complimented. In fact, her accent is so good that after she spoke to one driver, he would address the crowd of tourists in English, then translate for her in Spanish, not realizing she was bi-lingual. All the guys especially seem to like her and are quick to laugh and joke and help in any way. And I think they wonder what she is doing with a loser like me that speaks only in English. I can live with the ridicule because her mastery of the language makes me feel completely justified in leaving most arrangements in her hands, which frees mine for my specialty--goofing off.

The weather is beautiful and the food terrific and I have eaten and slept so much that I feel like a fat Mexican (who cannot speak Spanish).

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like when Merritt and I went down. I felt so much more comfortable since he was able to communicate with them!
    Glad you are having a good time. It's sounds like a blast!
    -Stacie

    ReplyDelete