Thursday, October 25, 2007

Adios Amigos

Sat by the beach this morning and read until it was time to check out of the hotel. Turns out the hotel beaches are prime areas for walk-by vendors to peddle their wares. Unfortunately, one of the first had some lovely blankets which Rebecca liked and bought, and with that purchase sitting prominently under our umbrella all the merchants smelled blood in the water and came by with increasing frequency to sell us more blankets and then rugs (from the blanket guys father--a referral!) and jewelry and dresses and maracas and carved seals and even muffins.

We did want to buy something for the kids, but most of the things we saw in the shops were so cheap, and the nice things, in contrast, were expensive, and it seemed like we couldn't agree on anything, so basically left every store empty-handed.

It was an enjoyable trip, and it is easy to see why people like to vacation in Puerto Vallarta. It is absolutely beautiful, with lush green mountainous forests rising up less than a half-mile from the beaches. The people are friendly, helpful and quick to laugh--especially if you speak Spanish to them, although almost all are bilingual. The prices are low and the services excellent, including the bus system. And there are plenty of tours for those traditional tourists who want to swim with dolphins or parasail or ride a pirate ship with real-life buccaneers and wenches.

But I think I would do it differently next time. I would come ready to explore more of the rivers. And I would maybe rent a car or motorcycle and head into more remote parts of the jungle to see some traditional villages or maybe I'd take surfing lessons and go scuba diving a couple of times. And I think I'd find a very private beach to hang out on for a day, with book in hand and my head resting on a sand pillow. And finally, in a perfect world (where I was a little closer to perfection) I'd speak the language, even a little, which would add a new dimension to the experience.

Great to go, but always good to be home. Thanks ever so much to my wonderful children for their thoughtfulness and generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment