Saturday, October 20, 2007

Favorite Quotes, Part 1

When I find a quote I like, I save it and put it in my email signature for a day or so. Some people have asked me for these, so I thought I'd occasionally put a few in my blog. One of my goals in life is to come up with a few pithy and well-said ideas that will survive my mortality. You ever hear of "Life's a Beach"?

"The years between fifty and seventy are the hardest. You are always being asked to do more, and you are not yet decrepit enough to turn them down. " --T.S. Eliot

"Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice.” --Shakespeare, Hamlet (Polonius)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." --George Bernard Shaw

"Nothing endures but change." -- Heraclitus

"We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves." -- Lynn Hall

"Our life is what our thoughts make it." --Marcus Aurelius Antonius

"Man is the Only Animal that Blushes. Or needs to." --Mark Twain

"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read." --Mark Twain

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” --Mark Twain

"There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact." --Mark Twain


“In looking for people to hire, you look for three qualities: Integrity, intelligence, and energy. If they do not have the first, then the other two will kill you.” --Warren Buffett


"Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live." --Dorothy Thompson, journalist


"Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for." --Earl Warren

"Drive thy business or it will drive thee." --Benjamin Franklin

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau, Walden.

“I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everyone to tell me the truth, even if it costs them their jobs.” --Samuel Goldwyn

"The ancestor of every action is a thought." --Emerson

"The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not." --George Bernard Shaw

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." --Lily Tomlin

"If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live." --Martin Luther King Jr.

"People only see what they are prepared to see." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The most valuable thing you can make is a mistake - you can't learn anything from being perfect." --Adam Osborne

"Sticks in a bundle are unbreakable." --African Proverb

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to success is more important than any other one thing."
--Abraham Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment