Sunday, October 15, 2006

On the Climb

Yesterday Angelica and I joined Dave and Albert Jarvi for a little climbing trip up Ferguson Canyon, just about 10 minutes from our house. It was a cool, crisp morning and we found a rock face which was perfect for us beginners, about a 5.7. I've only climbed a couple of times before, and not for many years, and Angelica has never climbed at all, so I was a little apprehensive. But no surprise, both Angelica and I really enjoyed it.

Climbing is cool. It's you against the rock, and if it gets too easy, you can dial up the difficulty in a myriad of ways. And the stuff we were doing felt very safe, with a belay there to catch you when you slip, or just need a rest. Still, I am attracted to the feeling of adventure, even though I realize that with a little common sense, there is not much danger. (I'd say canyoneering is a much greater risk than a simple climb.)

It's one of the great joys of my life to try new things, particularly those that involve the outdoors and some physical challenge. It keeps me young, although I fear that I am too old to start anything new and get very good at it. This is all very consistent with the life mission I wrote when I was about 30, to have a life filled with many new and interesting experiences. I have never tired of pursuing this mission. Please bury me when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment