Sunday, July 20, 2008

Oh Zion!

Just returned from a family vacation in beautiful Zion National Park. We rented a house in Zion Ponderosa Ranch and once again had a terrific time, hitting a few favorite canyons (Subway and Birch Hollow) and a few new ones (Fat Man's Misery and Spry). We all enjoyed the Parunuweap at the bottom of Misery--gorgeous river. Merritt and I also took a new approach to Subway--Das Boot is very cool--labyrinthine water-filled tunnels that were dark, foreboding and beautiful.

The park never ceases to amaze me with its wonders, and I am so happy when my children appreciate it as well. Many of us find The Subway one of the most lovely places on Earth. Rebecca descended Birch Hollow for the first time and immediately pronounced it her favorite canyon ever. Lanee again proclaimed that she thought Zion was the most beautiful place she had ever been.

Truman Allen, Courtney's boyfriend, got his first taste of canyoneering. He did very well and had "an awesome vacation." Ryan got his second taste of ropes and looked quite comfortable. He seemed to be enjoying himself and the canyons more than ever. And Layla and MJ spent each day playing with grandma and aunts and uncles and enjoying all the attention.

On Thursday, Sam and I closed the trip in Spry Canyon, which has more vertical descent in a shorter span than anything I have done. It's 11 rappels are relentless, jam-packed in a one-mile technical stretch. Lots of mucky water and one unplanned rope ascension, but that was all part of the fun.

I am a little selfish in this, but it is about the perfect vacation for me. I enjoy camping, but there is certainly something to be said for coming out of the canyons to a shower, hot tub and hot, tasty meal, then a sound sleep in a soft bed before doing it again the next day. Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I absolutely love our Zions vacations and hope they continue for years to come. Thanks dad, great time and great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A+ on my vacation-meter, even if I was only able to do one canyon. I'll hit more next year!

    ReplyDelete