Tuesday, December 05, 2006

All Night Long

I pulled an all-nighter last night. It's been a while since I've done that, and I'm not exactly sure why I did. Maybe to try to trick myself into believing that I'm still young. But I was working at the office and experiencing this highly productive surge of energy and the night grew long and my to-do list grew short and then it was morning. So I grabbed some breakfast, worked out and came home to start my day normally, except for the fact my body kept reminding me that something very strange was going on. And my mind kept deserting me. And all of this has dashed my delusions of the limitless energy of an eternal youth.

Nevertheless, I like the idea of working all night. It screams of passion and dedication. It waves a flag of commitment above and beyond mortals who have chosen paths normal and sane. Yet there is a foolishness to the proposition that can only be attributed to a thirst for excellence, and a hunger for more better faster. There is a chaos in the act that appeals to the anarchist in me, as I pose chin-out in counter-cyclical defiance to the laws of commerce or physics.

I won't be young forever, even in my own mind. But if I am nimble old age can not creep up on me. And then one day I will pass that portal, with a bowed head and creaking knees, in the middle of the night, while the watchman sleeps.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you pass that portal before I end up changing your diapers and giving you sponge baths on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy a good all-nighter.

    My favorite thing to do during an all-nighter is get up from my desk every once in a while and run from one side of the office to another to get a snack or diet coke. I also like hitting ping pong balls against the wall, a la Forrest Gump, to keep my mind clear and focused.

    ReplyDelete