Friday, September 29, 2006

Lesson from Layla

Every time I greet Layla I break out in an involuntary smile. And almost invariably, she returns the greeting with a grin just as wide. It's become a little ritual that we share, although I'm not bothered a bit that she must do the same with others. But it is something I look forward to, and it seems to lay a foundation for our time together.

It occurred to me that Jasmine and I do the same thing. I come home and she is there to greet me, jumping around anxiously like she hasn't piddled in a week. I open the door and she jumps up while I stoop down and shake her and smile like we are long-lost friends. It's an important part of the role I play in her life.

Surely it works the same with all people. When I'm greeted with a smile I feel energized, like I have been validated. I need to smile more often,. Besides being good for others, it's kind of fun. And it's cheap entertainment.

This is a universal lesson I learned from Layla. Works on almost all of God's creatures, except I think for cats.

2 comments:

  1. I'll remember next time we see each other to smile big, eyebrows raised to the hairline, to gently grab your jowls, shake your head around a little and call you "such a cute little boy!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, and I'll call you "Grandma."

    ReplyDelete