Sunday, September 03, 2006

Herding Sheep

September 2, 2006

We stayed in Midway Friday night with Merritt and Stacie, and Saturday we went to the sheep dog competition at Soldier's Hollow. This event attracts top sheep dogs (and their human trainers and traveling companions) from all over the world. Each dog--all border collies--is given about 15 minutes to move a small herd of five sheep through a series of gates and obstacles, and ultimately into a pen. The dog is directed by a trainer, who must remain near a post and communicates by calls and whistles. The dog must not bark or touch the sheep, and so motivates the herd through primal instinct, intimidation and emotional IQ. It's an unusual competition, and I'm glad that I went, although I doubt I shall ever see another.

One image lingers: One dog could not get the sheep to even begin. The trainer blew and blew on his whistle and called and called but neither the dog nor the sheep seemed interested in participating in the planned events. I will always remember the trainer, standing gamely at his post near the spectators, feeling I suppose like I do in a dream when I realize I have worn only my underwear to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment