Friday, July 12, 2013

What's up, Docs?

Not by design I've watched four documentary movies in the past five days, an unprecedented documentary binge (even during Sundance).  In order of preference:

1. 20 Feet from Stardom--Just out in theaters, about female back-up singers. As expected, wonderful music, but also touching stories of these talented women reconciling to their roles.

2. Craigslist Joe--Somehow I missed this when first released. A really fun story about a guy who decides to live for a month off of Craigslist--starting with no money or possessions.  Inspiring.  Keep Shazam handy because the music is also great.

3. Ai Wei Wei--This has been on my list for a while now and we finally got around to watching it. An insightful and candid portrait of the world-famous dissident Chinese artist who is inspiring a movement to reform the repressive policies of the Chinese government.  Processing my reaction to him made for an uneasy brew of admiration, respect and revulsion.

4. Looking for Trouble--I saw a reference to this on my Twitter feed and watched it on the web--about the violence common to Cajun dances in the first half of the 20th century. I love examinations of unique cultures and this was interesting because it is so American, yet felt foreign and almost third-world.

No comments:

Post a Comment