Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Doing Time

Last week I had lunch with a friend who has recently gotten out of prison, for a white-collar crime and what I generally believe was an honest mistake. Nevertheless, he did his time in a minimum-security prison camp. This was not exactly San Quentin, as there were no walls, fences or barbed-wire to prevent escape. Prisoners could literally walk off the property if they chose, but the judicial implications strongly discourage such law-breaking.

Naturally, I asked my friend all about his experience. He was incarcerated 18 months. In that time, he read about 300 books, dramatically improved his physical condition and spent a lot of time helping other prisoners.

Something he said really struck me: "I wouldn't wish prison upon anyone. And I wouldn't want to do it again. But I'm glad I went through it. It turned out to be a really positive experience for me and my family."

Let's see, they lost everything financially. His wife struggled to find even a low-level job. He's a convicted felon. He's starting over again after a year and a half away. And he's grateful for the experience.

Life is funny like that. The things we think are going to make us happy often don't. And the things we most fear and dread often bring us the greatest peace and contentment. My friend and his family made the most of this dubious opportunity, and in the process better learned what was most important in life, as well as what they could easily do without.

A good lesson for us all as we do our time in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment