Sunday, September 20, 2009

Moab


Spent a couple of really fun days around Moab this week. Late last week Steve Ramras (AKA Ram--canyoneering legend) called and asked if I wanted to join him for some unpublished canyons around North Wash. I thought about it for maybe three seconds before saying yes. Unfortunately, the weather turned very bad and so we went to a back-up plan--Moab.

Tuesday Ram, Rick F. and I hiked near Devil's Garden in Arches, but well behind the tourist trails and found plenty of interesting climbing and, of course, several awesome arches--Landscape Arch, Navajo Arch, Double-O Arch, Black Arch and Partition Arch--plus the Dark Angel monolith and other remarkable sites. We climbed around the fins and had a great time.

Wednesday we were joined by a couple of guys from Salt Lake and spent the day in The Fiery Furnace in Arches, aka The Fins or Finland. The area is filled with extraordinary features--fins that rise up from the earth, forming a maze of canyons and alleys. We spent the day climbing, chimneying and squeezing through the tight cracks. I also experienced more exposure than I am used to--and several times had to jump places where a loss of footing would have meant likely death. It was good for the adrenaline, but definitely sobering. I remember one climb looking down maybe 300 feet from an 18-inch ledge and facing a jump up over the top. Uh, yeah. I kept telling myself that I'm going to die sometime, and at least this way I'll leave a good story. But in the end, I was just being overly dramatic and a bit of a scaredy-cat.

At the close of the day we drove south of Moab and descended a river gorge, called The Pleiades. It was a totally different world from Arches--green, forested and humid with fast-running water. Lots of fun and I look forward to getting back there sometime.

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I doubt you were being a scardy cat. Something in me says it probably was pretty life threatening... ;)

    ReplyDelete