Saturday, February 07, 2009

Random Thoughts


Today in the grocery store the girl at the checkout asked me: "Did you find everything?" I immediately replied: "I wasn't looking for everything." There's a little devil in me, I know, that has been finding language absurdities everywhere I look lately. For instance, take a look at the photo of a sign I saw in Trolley Square which conjured up all sorts of interesting ideas and imagery. That Harold has one twisted sense of humor.

On a more serious note, Rebecca and I were both struck by something we heard in church last week. Someone told a story of a poor young island boy who gave his schoolteacher a gift of a beautiful seashell. "Thank you so much," she said. "It's so lovely. Where did you get it?" "On the other side of the island," the boy replied. The teacher, realizing what a long journey on foot that must have been for him, said: "You didn't have to go all that way to get me a seashell." The boy replied simply: "Long walk part of gift."

2 comments:

  1. Well, at least I know where I get it from. Great story by the way, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also find myself pointing out errors in semantics, especially during sports broadcasts. If you really listen to the guys calling games on VS or The Mtn it's hard to pay attention to the games! I'm sure this is part of the "white people" phenomenon that causes us to seek out grammatical errors in publications.

    ReplyDelete