Monday, August 27, 2007

Contrarian Learning

I read an interesting book recently--No Excuses: Concessions of a Serial Campaigner, by Robert Schrum. Schrum has been an active political consultant to Democratic candidates since he was a teenager volunteering for JFK. He is a dedicated, heart-felt liberal who has had long, close relationships with the likes of Ted Kennedy, Al Gore and John Kerry, in addition to major Democratic candidates from the past three decades.

The book was entertaining, enjoyable and educational. Importantly, it changed my thinking about Democrats in general, and certain Democrats in particular. Now I've never been opposed to most of the ideals of the Democratic party, and truth be told lean more to the left than to the right on most issues. But I've never liked any of the actual Democrats. But I liked Schrum (of course, he authored the book!) and over time I began to like Ted Kennedy quite a bit, and even John Kerry some.

It was a little disheartening to see the political process laid out so nakedly as a matter of branding and positioning--one marketing case after another. But it's the reality we live with and it isn't likely to change.

I think it's good sometimes to read contrary political points of view. It forces you to deal with their arguments and positions. Too often we read and watch stuff that aims only to reinforce our firmly held beliefs, which I guess is what makes Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh so popular. But that's laughing at your own jokes.

1 comment:

  1. I've always been somewhat repulsed by our political system, and I've never been completely sure why. I think maybe it's because politics repeatedly force everyone into a lose-lose situation. It's maddening how little can be accomplished given the scenario. There's no cooperation, no understanding, and nobody ever wins (not meant in a competitive sense). Moreover, there's no one to blame. It just is.

    I've always felt irresponsible for remaining so aloof, but I'm not sure I can participate under such conditions. You have to play the game just to initiate change in the system.

    I suppose it's impossible to refuse it. To stay detached is to agree to be ruled by the wills of others.

    Anyways, just rambling...

    ReplyDelete