Saturday, March 10, 2007

My Vegetative State: Final

For the health of it. It's healthier to go meatless. Healthier in theory. Healthier in practice. And there is a mountain of data to support this.

Vegetarians have less obesity, less heart disease, less diabetes, less hypertension, less cancer, less osetoperosis and fewer gall stones. And they live longer. I can't say they all run without weariness, but they generally have more energy because their bodies run on cleaner fuel.

I suppose that if you scrupulously avoided the modern meat factories, and only ate what you killed, then eating meat wouldn't be quite so bad for you. But the fact is, virtually all meateaters in this country eat factory beef, factory pork, factory poultry or some other type of factorized hormone-injected hyper-grown sodium nitrate-infused scientifically-modeled production-efficient meat.

Our bodies weren't built for meat. Our teeth aren't right. Our colons are way too long. And our blood vessels don't like it. Don't talk to me about the need for protein and all of that nonsense--I don't believe a word of it. I've gone for a year eating just fruit and was perfectly healthy and happy. And you can now get all the protein you need as a supplement--in chocolate no less.

I think we'd be better off without milk and dairy as well, but it's hard for me to live without cereal (and I'm greatly looking forward to switching to raw milk).

Thus endeth this series. I try not to preach. I almost never criticize. I am deeply grateful that I have a wife who has been kind enough to make me alternatives at meal time for so many years. I have many dietary faults, and I make no allowance for them. I never claimed to have it all right. But this is one thing I do, for numerous reasons, which are now available for public consumption, and at least as easily digested as your average hamburger.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to see a book-entitled
    Vegetarianism & Environmentalism
    & Spirituality

    Vegetarianism is like my current job at the chamber. Noone is really against the concept, per se.. but for many people just never take action on it.


    Here's another idea... Why not create communities that then BID on books they would like to see written ?? (as oppposed to the traditional 1.0 Top Down approach)

    Readers would collaborate on the content they'd like to see and then choose the authors they would like to see write it. ( kind of a reverse EBAY, or a Books wanted section to Craigslist,etc..)

    lets call it -- Publishing 2.0

    The Top Down world is changing.
    Vegetarianism is just one of the many examples I think we will see in the bottom-up structure currently being developed "without hands"

    ReplyDelete